Adopting a child is rewarding on many fronts, but that doesn’t mean you should dive into the process before you fully understand the finer details.
Since there’s a lot that goes into an adoption, it’s critical that you understand the steps to take, your legal rights and any hurdles you could face along the way.
A basic adoption checklist can help you answer key questions and plan for the future. Here are a few things you should address as soon as you begin to consider this idea:
- The type of adoption: For example, there’s a big difference between adopting a step-child and adopting a child who is in foster care. Just the same, you need to consider the pros and cons of closed and open adoptions, as this breaks down the amount of contact the child will have with their birth parents.
- Locate a child: When adopting a step-child, this doesn’t come into play. But if you’re interested in adopting, in general, you must understand the process of locating a child. There are a variety of agencies that can help you with your search.
- Prepare for the home study: It doesn’t matter if you’re adopting privately or through an agency, the home study is a big part of the process. It’s designed to ensure that you’re prepared and qualified to bring a child into your home.
- Understand the paperwork: There is a large amount of paperwork associated with every type of adoption. For instance, if you’re interested in a private adoption of a child who lives out of state, you must comply with all the terms and conditions of the federal Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children. One of the first steps you’ll take is obtaining written approval from the child’s state of residence.
- File a petition: This is one of the final steps in the process, as the petition is designed to help you receive court approval.
Along with the above, be sure that you are prepared to parent your new child after the adoption process is complete.
With the help of an adoption checklist, you’ll have a clear understanding of what to expect and how to deal with everything that comes your way.